AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Operating a manual transmission?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GM Guy
Posted 6/9/2019 22:19 (#7550675 - in reply to #7549024)
Subject: RE: Operating a manual transmission?

NW KS/ SC ID
Manuals are king around here. anything with air brakes is manual, and about all of the pickups. Most all of the tractors. Combines are hydrostat, but still run it through a 4 speed manual. :)

Basically if a need for a pickup comes along, if its an auto I keep on browsing. Dad's knee is getting to the point he needs to have an auto or two around though.

comparing apples to apples (aka same final drive ratio and power ratings) a manual is still superior to an automatic. Now when the automakers put some crappy dual mass flywheel and cheapo clutch to send the power to a manual that is rated for much less than its automatic counterpart, yeah, the auto is going to be better, but that is not a fair comparison.

I have had to pull start stuff before, not gonna happen with an auto... not unheard of to lose a starter on a roadtrip...

I blew a slave cylinder in Texas, floated them home from there. try going anywhere when an auto loses some fluid involved with transmission engagement... lol

When a person is buying new or low miles, it really doesnt make a difference, but when you buy at the miles I do, it makes a difference on upkeep costs.

As far as the younger generation driving, I agree with the manuals to make people pay attention... lol

I am 28 and enjoy running new to me things, the only common manual I have not driven is a column shift (three on the tree). A twin stick semi is my new obcession... lol the guy I help during harvest got a 73 KW to add to the fleet, and it has a 6x4, he got it over winter, and of course it was the first truck i hopped in during wheat harvest. No shift pattern and the assumption it was a 4x4 or 5x4 made for some grinding till I contacted the previous owners brother, was told "Its a 6x4 with a horseshoe shift in each box, IDK which gears exactly. you'll figure it out"
After that we snagged a 68 Peterbilt 352 with a 4x4 to play with.
I imagine I am the exception to the norm that is my generation though...

Edited by GM Guy 6/12/2019 10:10
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)