AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall tillage stalks. Does just disking help come spring?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GrainTrader
Posted 6/8/2019 07:40 (#7547549)
Subject: Fall tillage stalks. Does just disking help come spring?

20 Miles West of Indianapolis Indiana
What would running just a disk over corn stalks in the fall once do to help prep stalks for spring field cultivation or one pass style tool?

Dad has a Massey 820 disk and I was thinking of that worked this fall I could look for a larger one of my own next year.

I have a Kent disc-o-vator one pass style tool and dad has 2 case 4300 field cultivators we use in the spring for tillage. Would hitting stalks with the disc in the fall then once with my disc o vator or his 4300 field cultivator leave a good seed bed? Or would be likely he disappointed and have to work it twice in the spring? I have a disc chisel and he has a M&W earthmaster disc ripper, so we will do some of that too where we will do corn on corn or we think deeper tillage is warranted.

Our goal with the fall and spring tillage on the stalks going to beans, is to do around 1/3 to 1/4 of our stalk ground going to beans this way to dry ground out a little earlier in the spring and take advantage of early planting of beans and feel better about the ground conditions rather then being “too early” on the no till stalks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)