AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

for the sheep guys - please
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/4/2019 14:29 (#7541035 - in reply to #7540838)
Subject: RE: for the sheep guys - please

SE Manitoba
JLR FARM - 6/4/2019 12:05

dabeegmon - 6/4/2019 11:31

JLR FARM - 6/4/2019 09:44

I just noticed that your not in the US Dequinate and Monensin mixed in your feed will help control toxoplasmosis if it’s approved where your at but if you have active abortions you can inject everything with LA200 immediately and start pulse feeding the AS700 if that is an option there. Here in the US we need a feed directive from our vet to feed AS700 extra label use. There are a number of things that can cause abortion but between feeding Rumensin and pulse feeding AS700 you should be able to control most of them.

Decoquinate and Monensin - - - OK.
Curious as to dosages.
You mentioned pulse feeding of the decoquinate (different brand names depending upon the company) - - - so like every 2nd day or was it every third or ????
The monensin I found a study where the rate listed was 40g/1000kg.

Would make it sort of interesting mixing to make sure the stuff was evenly distributed for sure.

Am also supposed to have a vet script here to feed either item mentioned.

This is a recommendation from the late Dr Kennedy of Pipe Stone MN ...
Rumensin may be fed at the rate of 15mg per head per day to prevent. Deccox 6%, two pounds can be mixed with fifty pounds of salt, no sheep mineral should be fed in addition. Selenium and iodine in salt mix should be adequate. There are reports of sheep being infected on pastures and Deccox is about the only option in those situations.

To determine an outbreak (and I think there should be concern when the rate exceeds three percent) fetuses and placenta should be submitted to a diagnostic lab to determine cause. Cause cannot be determined by clinical observation. Diagnosis may be essential for treatment and always essential in planning for next year.

My shot gun approach early on with no diagnosis is to feed one pound of 2 gram AS700 crumbles for five head for five days and repeat every two weeks.

Very useful - - - thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)