AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are Angus the new terminal breed?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 6/4/2019 18:46 (#7541379 - in reply to #7541262)
Subject: RE: Wow, I'm all in it's a moneyball!

SE Manitoba
The genomic testing use is one of the strengths (and maybe a weakness - - - dunno) for the milking breeds in north america.

There has been enough information gathered AND collated so that it IS possible to use genomics to choose.
That is NOT true of most other species and is still challenging in most beef breeds (although its changing there in some).

The very large advantage to genomic testing is that it is no longer necessary to wait until the bull is 4 years old to know that he has some great qualities (and 6 to really know how his daughters do) - - - in fact you can know some not so long time after the sample is sent in!
This shortened testing time should enhance change but if the desired changes are all headed in direction y you had better hope that you're not wanting to head in direction d because you will be totally sol and that's were the negative side to this knowledge happens. The $$$ will force movement in the direction that the $$$ thinks is important and if you're not looking for that - - - things won't be easy.

I have gotten ever more reluctant to either jump on or even to follow band wagons - - - - part of that is my character but part of it is the knowledge that running with the thundering herd means my results are going to be just like theirs - - - and that I don't like.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)