AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Holstein
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Curious
Posted 5/29/2019 21:09 (#7530000 - in reply to #7529348)
Subject: RE: Holstein

NW IA
I have been feeding Holsteins forever, starting with ground ear corn, and the last ten + years on Smidley Stuffers. They never see hay and I have never experienced the gut problems mentioned by others.

However, I am fairly generous with cornstalk bedding.

I have had one pen with access to a round bale of soy stubble when it is available, but have never noticed a difference in the health or performance of the critters.

Performance has been much better since finding a pellet that didn't turn to mush in the feeders.

When I got the first Stuffer I briefly attempted to crack the kernels with my hammer mill, but every variation on that theme led to sorting, fines, and inconsistent intake; circumstances that I believe would have resulted in the aforementioned digestive wreckage.

I get the steers as babies and they generally start going to the auction at 15 months and 1450 > < lbs. The performance of these animals can be variable due to genetics and body type.

Making money at this game is something of a mystery to me, kinda like the weather, can't figure it out.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)