AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Memorial Day Panic
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/27/2019 06:39 (#7523424)
Subject: Memorial Day Panic

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Our local American Legion puts on a Memorial Day program each year. As the Chaplin, I'm part of the program. For years I have used my old IBM ThinkPad to provide background music as well as playing the National Anthem and America the Beautiful. This worked fine for years as I just used a headphone to RCA adapter cable to pipe the music through the sound system.

Yesterday I realized that I hadn't used the ThinkPad for some time and thought I better test it out. I'm certainly glad I decided to do that yesterday instead of waiting until this morning. The ThinkPad was in its usual locations but hadn't been plugged in. I plugged it in and thought that the battery would eventually charge which I think it has. Upon pushing the power button, I hear the hard drive start up making its usual sounds. However nothing happens on the screen.

I hear an audible error code which I don't understand. It is one beep then a short pause followed by a series of three beeps, then a pause, then three beeps again and another pause and finally another single beep. It is beep, - beep, beep, beep, - beep, beep, beep, - beep then silence. The hard drive is still running during this time.

I removed the main battery. I noticed another smaller lithium battery below it which has never been changed. Any ideas as to what to do to bring this back to life? I did a search and didn't like what I found -something abut DIMM or main board. Since I really don't use it anymore I'm afraid it will join some other items in the back closet.

Fortunately I have both an iPhone and iPad. I have music on various devices including a hard drive in the house and one in the shop as well as various USB sticks and SD cards. After doing some frantic searching yesterday I found the music I was looking for on various devices and got them on a single USB stick which I used in the home office computer. I then used iTunes (which I can never quite master) to get them on the iPad in three playlists. I tested the iPad with the shop computer and it appears to work as desired.

Edited by tedbear 5/27/2019 06:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)