AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting Progress SE SD SW MN informal survey results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDpastor
Posted 5/25/2019 21:13 (#7521015)
Subject: Planting Progress SE SD SW MN informal survey results

I drove up to a graduation today and put on about 120 to get there. The trip was from Worthing, SD to Ghent, MN. Most of the route was along the rolling high ground of Buffalo Ridge. As I drove I counted the planted fields that bordered either side of the road (I did not count cover crop from last fall or alfalfa). Fields ranged in size from about 20-160 acres. I did not count the 5 acre test plot by Pipestone.

In that 120 miles I counted 65 planted fields. Some may have been soy, but most were corn. Not very many were emerged.

If each field had been 160 acres and there were fields the whole way and no towns or pasture, creeks, woods, alfalfa, etc, then one field per mile would be 25%. Since not all fields were full 160 acre quarters, that should offset the non ag ground that I drove by, so my guess is that the planting progress was 10-15% or less.

I saw no one in the field on the way up there, but we took a different route home (I wanted to enjoy the ride instead of counting fields) and towards evening we saw a couple of quad tracks stirring the mud by Bear Lake Woods north of Hadley, MN and a planter rolling south of Pipestone on some ground that looked like it had been worked before the rain. Not much progress, but maybe we can add 1% to last weeks planting progress if it doesn't rain tonight.

Edited by JDpastor 5/25/2019 21:14
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)