AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Whats the point of preplant even half of Nitrogen in corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DobsonAG
Posted 5/25/2019 14:05 (#7520362 - in reply to #7520168)
Subject: RE: Whats the point of preplant even half of Nitrogen in corn?

Donnellson, IA. Makes saying here easier.
Both sides of the coin have arguable points. A lot has to do with your area and soil types. ie sand has a totally different approach for me as does clay etc. I'm not a fall N fan because of our temps and lack of winter some years. But it definitely reduces the spring work load. Spring N I don't like to run the full show because we often plant soon behind the strip till bar and I don't like being right on that much nh3. If there is a second pass planned I don't see the point of it being a small amount like many here do. 60-80 makes more sense or more. We also occasionally do point rows at full rate to make sidedress easier. But those areas here are usually on our tough conditions and respond more to sidedress. This season 60-90N applied in the strip, 40N with the planter 60-80N v10 with hagie. If it stays too wet to make the 3rd pass here with that much constant moisture and we maintain heat I bet nitrogen still won't be the biggest yield limiter for us. Last season we sidedressed 2700 acres and most of that was with the tractor and 12 row not the hagie at 24. Right now I'm very happy all my N isn't on.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)