AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Last night headed to Goderich
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 5/25/2019 10:54 (#7520027 - in reply to #7519913)
Subject: RE: Last night headed to Goderich

Kingston,Mi
So that's not the harbor at Port Asbestos? About 50 years ago I was spending spring break riding with a friend hauling fertilizer from Andersons in Maumee Ohio to customers in western Ontario. Dave had a 28 ton load of bagged fertilizer to deliver north of Goderich and he was running thru the gears to pick up speed as he left Goderich headed north on Highway 21. He got to the edge of the valley (Maitland River?), he started to steer right as hard as he could while continuing to shift up. His truck was an early 60's GMC Crackerbox with a 6-71 Detroit. I had seen that Highway 21 continued up hill on the other side of the valley but did not see the sharp right to go down into the river bottom. Crossed the bridge as fast as the Crackerbox could muster (53 mph) and headed up hill, about 3000 feet later , we were back on nearly flat ground and in the lowest hole in the transmission. On the way home it was cold enough in March to glaze the roads, Dave slowed down and put his right side wheels on the gravel margin along the road and attempted to make the merge to the right at Highway 7 going back toward Sarnia/Port Huron. The truck and trailer decided to go straight over the pie shaped median and landed headed west on Highway 7. Dave got out to check his tires and rims (they had gone over the curbing sideways) while I crawled out from under the dash with my right hip dislodged. Other than that it was an uneventful trip alone Ontario's "surf" coast.

Edited by BOGTROTTER 5/25/2019 10:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)