AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ever make one of THOSE mistakes? Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

d4dave1
Posted 5/24/2019 15:56 (#7518432)
Subject: Ever make one of THOSE mistakes? Advice

Edson, Alberta, Canada

You know how sometimes you make a mistake and you knew better? Nothing worse than being angry at yourself for a careless mistake. 

Replaced a Hipro roller pump on an old sprayer. The adapter from the shaft of the pump to the PTO on the old pump had been cross drilled for a cross pin to keep it in place by the previous owner. The hex keys on the shaft key usually works loose and they come apart. So I have the new pump and of course it has no cross drilled hole in it which is normal. Anyone see where this is going yet? 

Yeah, I looked at the old pump, same as the new pump right??!! Grabbed a measurement on the old shaft and measured it out on the new shaft, tooled it up in the drill press and Voila!! New cross drilled hole. Yeah...well...except they changed the shaft length on the newer pumps. So when I slide the pump shaft into the PTO adapter it bottoms out against the pump before the holes line up. Careless....Careless....Careless.....MAD at myself. 

Question now is: 

1. If I cross drill another new 1/4 inch hole in the pump shaft am I weakening it too much? It is a 1 inch diameter shaft running a 12 gpm Hipro pump. And if I do drill a new hole should I offset it from the other hole so that they do not line up? 

2. I could drill new holes in the PTO adapter but it puts the 1/4 hole about 5/8 inch away from the end of the adapter. Is that enough meat left? And again, stay in line with the old holes or quarter turn over? 

3. I could use the cut off saw and remove enough of the end of the PTO adapter so that it fits? Same issue as #2 though. 

Thanks for any help guys. Yeah...I'm mad at myself so go ahead and poke fun at me. LOL 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)