AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Quadratic formula for Corn and Soy Planting Dates?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 5/24/2019 13:47 (#7518191)
Subject: Quadratic formula for Corn and Soy Planting Dates?

South Central Iowa
Does anyone have a link to research that includes a quadratic formula that quantifies yield in relation to planting date? Specifically, I would like it to be from Iowa first, or Illinois second. I think Iowa best blends the attributes of the entire corn belt, being more like Nebraska than Minnesota is, more like Minnesota than Illinois is, more like Illinois than Nebraska is, etc.

I would like to create an adjusted trend yield using an allocation ratio based on progress and date. I'd prefer to use an actual formula instead of me pulling numbers out of thin air or visually guessing on charts that don't really fit what I would like. I have the table already, but plugging in numbers like 95% on June 2 and 85% on June 16 with my guess of progress by that day gives me national yields in the low-mid 150's. I thought that too bearish, but then looking up what research I could find, it seems that those yield expectations may actually be higher than could be expected...

This seems like a ZenFarm question, he's always got plenty of citable research. Anyone know of something? I would really like it to have a specific start date, say 100% on April 25 for example, so that I can enter the formula into the allocation table. But even a table with plant dates ranging from early April to late June with yield would be good enough; I can make the formula... If I can be real picky, it would be nice to have at least 3 years of record, really like 5 or more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)