AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clearly a depressed forum
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Distance Runner
Posted 5/24/2019 09:23 (#7517559 - in reply to #7517489)
Subject: RE: Clearly a depressed forum

SE SoDak
We will try to get corn in until somewhere early June, but we have some fields that are realistically not going to get planted even if it doesn't rain another drop. We don't have N down and have no livestock, so there is less incentive for us to get corn in than for some.

Already talked to our seed dealer about cover crops. There are various packages, but you are looking at about $15-$20 an acre in seed cost depending on what mix you want to do. We have a JD 750 so we can use that to seed. We are no-tillers, so prior to seeding we will hit the field with roundup, gramaxone, or something to kill most weeds ahead of seeding. Most people will use tillage instead I suppose. Still need to talk to our agronomist to determine the best plan on spray, but I doubt you can use anything with residual for these mixes. We had water hemp pressure last year so I don't want that to get out of control. Of course, with cover crops there is no rescue spray.

We have some neighbors that are big proponents of cover crops post-harvest, but we've never tried them. Gonna chalk this up as a learning year. Who knows, maybe next spring we will be impressed with the results from cover crops and will get converted. Every crisis is also an opportunity, so no, I'm not depressed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)