AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Here's how to repair the leaking 2630
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Funacres
Posted 5/23/2019 21:47 (#7516763)
Subject: Here's how to repair the leaking 2630

Texas

Sorry, no pics, but I will endeavor to paint a word pic for you.

After dealing with my gooey, leaking 2630 monitor, I did some research and decided I could save the $900 the replacement repair costs.

What is leaking is the liquid adhesive that is used to fill the gap between the monitor and the touch screen so that glare will not be an issue.  Mine has leaked for a while and has a noticeable border area that has lost the adhesive.  It seems that the extreme heat in a closed cab and gravity have partnered to reduce the curing process of the adhesive to a very undesirable goo.  The adhesive is not needed for the touch screen to work or for the monitor to work, only for the reduction of glare in the sunlight.

I decided that since I didn't have anything to lose except for the rest of the adhesive I had left, that I would take it apart and try to seal it up so as to contain it and stop the mess on the monitor housing and cab floor (and fingers)!

It is simple to take the halves apart and remove the components except for the touch screen display which is what I needed to get to.  Pay attention to the flat cable connectors and make sure to carefully disconnect them from the connectors as you open it up.  The display is encased between the top housing and the bezel which is plastic welded when assembled.  There are 24 heat crimped dowels hoIding the unit together that I drilled the top off of using a larger bit.  It goes fast as you only need to remove a very small amount before being able to pull the black bezel off to free the display.  Once I got to that point I cleaned all of the sticky residue using a citrus adhesive cleaner, then sealed the edges of each side with clear silicone.  I smoothed it out as fine as I could and let it cure overnight before re-assembling the unit and glueing the bezel back on.  There are four studs with lock nuts that actually hold the display in place without needing the bezel for anything other than appearance.

I consider the job a success and expect it will last a long time.  My storage plan has changed to keeping it inside laying face down on a flat service and out of a hot cab when not in use.  The display will continue to work just fine with or without the adhesive, and since I still have 85-90% of it in place I haven't experienced any issues with glare. 

I hope this will be helpful to those of you that might be inclined to make the repair yourself.  It's a pretty good payday for an hour of work! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)