AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Transfer case: 4-High vs 4-low
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 5/23/2019 15:55 (#7515959)
Subject: Transfer case: 4-High vs 4-low

I bought a 2012 Ford Expedition EL that had a bad engine and got a reman engine put in it so I could take some of the load off the Honda Odyssey especially when it's muddy (4 miles to the highway, two of which are really bad).

Turns out the Expedition is only marginally better than the Odyssey in 4-high because you can disable traction control but not electronic stability control. When your back left tire starts hanging out in the ditch (vehicle senses tilt to left) and you're steering to the right the electronic stability control interprets those conditions as an undesteer situation and it shuts the power off and maybe even applies the back right brake to fix the perceived problem.

Losing power results in me walking home.

I can get away from this issue by using 4-low which automatically turns traction control and electronic stability control off but I'm wondering if a lot more parts are turning in the transfer case thereby potentially reducing reliability. It also results in me having to drive slower than I normally would for some stretches of the road.

So I guess my main question is, how does this affect reliability? What all changes when you switch from 4-high to 4-low?

Also, is there a way I can disable electronic stability control (not just traction control) when I'm in 4-high? I think ESC depends upon wheel speed info so if I found an ABS fuse and pulled it I would assume that would also disable ESC? Maybe I could even make that circuit switched so I could easily enable and disable ESC?

Edited by dpilot83 5/23/2019 15:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)