AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LSW vs Tracks for Planting?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Magicmatt41
Posted 5/22/2019 22:51 (#7514340 - in reply to #7514197)
Subject: RE: LSW vs Tracks for Planting?

One thing that is very important when compare tracks vs tire is percentage of ground driven over.
Assuming 24 inch tracks. And a rear lsw tire that is a 1200 metric which is 47 inch. With the tires you are almost driving over twice as much ground. In this calculation you also have to consider were the planter tires are running. Are both planter tires running in track of the lsw or is only one. With the tracked tractor you can add 12 inches to the 24 because one wheel on the planter is make its own track. So that would mean track 36 inches wide vs 47 on the lsw. If only one wheel on the planter tracks in the lsw track, then add 12 inch to lsw to 59 inches.

We have a magnum rowtrac and 1240 planter on tracks (22 inches)and pull an all steer tank. All on 120” centers
Widest track or wheel in the system is is 24.5” and the wing wheel are 11.5 inches. With a 40 foot planter we only drive on 14.8% (71 total inch) of the ground compared to an 18.4 dualed tire tractor at 23.5%. (112.6 total inch) That quite a difference in percentage of ground driven over creating compaction.
I am for getting everything on 120” centers whether that be a Great Plains, Horsch, DB bar on tracks, yield trac , or any of Case Ih factory options.

After I wrote all this I saw that you did out this a con for the lsw.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)