AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

7200 planter dropping seed on headlands
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hf213
Posted 5/22/2019 18:38 (#7513612 - in reply to #7513529)
Subject: RE: 7200 planter dropping seed on headlands

Yes this spring can get weak, and the tangs of the spring can break, or the spring can break in the center...

Some other things

On that small hex shaft which has the arm to fall into place and stop the plastic drum from turning.....Possible that...

1.) your rubber seals on each end of the drum ( Deere will call it a cover ) are faulty and have allowed dirt and or water entry, but that the internal spring is all rusty and siezed.
This clutch works kind of like a Chinese finger puzzle....where you insert your fingers in a tube and the harder you pull, the harder it is to escape....but on this clutch, it works by the rotation of the spring to wind tight in the outer clutch drives that have the large slots....

2.) If you take the clutch apart....there should be a hole in the drum / cover for the spring to engage in when assembled....make sure your spring did not pop out and or that the plastic barrel / cover is in tact.
I usually, buff all the parts clean with a buffer wire wheel on a bench grinder, rinse off with brake cleaner and compressed air, then assemble, sometimes I'll VERY lightly lube that coil spring inside with a coating of WD40, Just to help prevent rust, but in no way you want it wet or dripping with oil, damp if you will....
3.) the bearings on that small 3/4" hex shaft...make sure that that shaft turns freely....

4.) Look at the slotted adjustment... look at it closely and see if it has moved....normally, once these are set, you can leave them alone....this is your timing...meaning ...you can set how soon or late you want the drive to quit turning.

5.) Clutch bearings....disconnect both sides of the clutch, and pull the timing arm downward so that the clutch can be turned by hand....it should be VERY free with chain disconnected.

6.) check the ratcheting drives at each wheel, make sure all the little springs are in tact and not stretched, check that the L pins are in the correct driving manner.

7.) on the arm that engages the drum...check that the set screw in tight and secure.

All of these suggestions are not in any order, so read thru them all and procede to make the easiest diagnosis, these were just as they came to me as I typed.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)