AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Gasahol/soydiesel
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Funacres
Posted 5/23/2019 13:42 (#7515734 - in reply to #7513169)
Subject: RE: Gasahol/soydiesel

Texas

AGDEAL - 5/22/2019 13:48 High content Biodiesel in cold weather= gelled feed tractor

Not necessarily.

I believe your feed tractor gelled with biodiesel, but I also know you weren't prepared to run it on biodiesel in the cold weather or it wouldn't have gelled.  If you run biodiesel of good quality, derived from a winter appropriate feedstock, and use a heated fuel supply system it will run.  If you run your feed tractor on #2 without treatment or blending with #1, and don't have a fuel heater it will gell. 

I have run B99 all winter long in the northern states without any issue.  I used to haul soybean oil from Lincoln, NE during the winter with snow storms that closed I-80 and -10 temps, all the while sleeping in the truck as I waited out the road closures.

It all depends on the fuel you use and the supply line from the tank to the engine.  If you have a tank heater or in-line fuel heater you will not have trouble.  If you don't run an additive or fuel heater, you will gell with 100% petro fuel.  

I have had my truck gelled up on the side of the road in northern Iowa (Storm Lake) with -35 temps that was 80% #1 diesel and 20% #2 diesel with a double dose of Power Service.  I had to have it towed, warmed inside a building, and all the fuel drained and refilled with straight #1 diesel before it would run again. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)