AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garden City Kansas.. Record Cold last night..
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 5/22/2019 14:24 (#7513218 - in reply to #7513062)
Subject: Golly I'm probably gonna get razzed for this.. smh.

Okay so you asked..

If y'all recall we had a very wet fall.. something like 15" in October.. lol.. not unlike its shaping to be now..

Our last insurance date was Oct 30th and November 5th..

We normally like to start around the 5th of October.. about the date the rains started..

We finally started.. around the 22.. planted a sand hill.. got the drills set.. a 0 25" forecast then 10 day was clear..

The 0.25" turned into 2.5 days of drizzly damp.. not conducive to drying weather..

By the 25th I was in full panic mode.. "golly.. were not gonna get this in..we also still had soybeans.. double crop no less.. standing in the elements to get.. "why do I mess with such a risky venture with these prices?"

By the 26'ish.. we were rolling.. the rest of the sand went okay.. as I moved to the progressively better.. heavier.. ground.. things started gumming up.. we basically hogged that in..

I filed prevented plantings on about 730ish acres.. which for 6 months was about the only thing I did right..

A few weeks ago.. my insurance agent started pushing hail insurance.. my response.. "golly I dont have anything that's good enough to insure.."

We've been getting pounded lately though... 3 to 5" since the weekend.. with rain forecast for the next week..

Now what's not underwater.. some of it doesn't look too bad..??

But the area has everything.. as the crop conditions show.. a neighbor got 2 quarters appraised and released last week at 20 something bushels.. others have destroyed parts of what they planted.. poor emergence.. flooded.. etc.. 2. 3..5% more or less..

Other end of the spectrum.. yal.. now theres some good looking wheat.. but late.. not many.. but some have sprayed a fungicide on their seed production and other better areas..

I ribbed one neighbor at the time.. "wow..spending the $$$"

Now with all the rains we got strip rust etc.. moving in.. and that decision doesn't look so bad now.. wow.

One neighbor described it well..

" I'm gonna have exceptional yields on part of my fields.. 30. 40%.. ho hum on some.. and the larger than normal drown out mudholes will of course be zero.. so figure all that out and theres the yield.. it will not be consistently good across the majority but hit and miss... "

Probably how some of this corn.. which is trying to go will be..

Down south in Oklahoma.. they are farther along.. rated better.. and got pounded harder.. I've seen beautiful wheat crops . One year at the elevator.. we were not half done by the 4th of July.. we took the last load of harvest in September.. a tale of 2 crops.. first half.. good yields.. good quality.. last third was crap..

Watched a guy burn off an unharvested field that year.. so it would dry out.. so he could plant the next crop..

Smh..

But there were some good yields in spots that year.. which got harvested.. but not all if it was harvested..

Unfortunately I suspect that will be the case again this year..

Edited by JonSCKs 5/25/2019 00:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)