AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stalk rolls and No-till
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Crossflow
Posted 5/22/2019 09:21 (#7512525 - in reply to #7511950)
Subject: RE: Stalk rolls and No-till

SE MN
I run 3 rows of Calmer rolls and 3 rows of OEM 2206 knife rolls on our corn head, with 4 rows of stalk stompers on the head. In my opinion, with a normal harvest date/weather, the soil is going to be cold and wet in the spring regardless of the stalk roll you are running, in our area. I cant discern a visual difference in soil moisture in the spring between the two different knife roll types. Dad thinks he has seen better emergence after the calmer rolls, I disagree and think there is no difference. I do think the Calmer's may help make for less stalk residue two springs after harvest (Harvest in 2018 with Calmer rolls, could potentially lead to less corn stalk residue when planting in the spring of 2020).

We harvested (some) green foliage the end of September last year. Those fields broke down far better than our brown, November harvested corn.

My observation is that tall hybrids, heavily traited, plus foliar fungicide is not a great combination if minimizing at planting residue, is the goal. These items seem to me, to have more effect on residue levels than the type of stalk roll used.

Here are pictures after planting, of a field harvested 10/12. Very difficult to see any difference in residue breakdown, or soil moisture, between the two different knife rolls.

Edited by Crossflow 5/22/2019 09:38

(corn_on_corn (full).JPG)

(corn on corn2 (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments corn_on_corn (full).JPG (182KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments corn on corn2 (full).JPG (183KB - 5 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)