AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

5100 drill question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 5/22/2019 02:34 (#7511956 - in reply to #7511890)
Subject: RE: 5100 drill question

“These are the times that try men's souls.”
In picture #1 you will see a red circle a wire clip that has several bends in it. That is what holds the bottom side of the spring. That flat rods has several holes in it to increase or decrease that spring pressure by moving that wire clip. To be able to adjust that spring pressure you will lift openers all the up, taking pressure off springs. Pull wire clip, using your other hand lift spring up the flat rod and reinstall the clip higher on flat rod. That will increase down pressure. Chances are your springs are shot.

To replace those springs run drill wheels up on blocks or jack one side of drill up on frame. Then undo the silver clip in the blue circle at top of the flat rod and drop the rod out of the cast piece that pushes down on the spring to take rod out and replace the spring. Helps if you have a second person to lift press wheels by hand to help you guide flat rod in and out of the cast piece while you adjust spring and wire clip. A trick I used to do when transporting drill down a paved road, I would put down pressure on openers and slip a fence staple just under the silver clip on top of the flat rod. There is two or three extra square holes right there to install that silver clip to give more lift height. It's a pain to change that silver clip. So I would slip a staple in a hole, then just lift hyd. ram up. that in turn would give you more lift height while going down the road.

So in picture number #2 I've posted I made a blue circle around a strap. That is a factory weldment they made a strap to bolt linkage up for transport or shipping. It should have come with a J or L type bolt to hold it up in the lifted position. However the previous owner welded a clevis on top of the linkage in the red circle to make it easier to pin it in transport mode. The problem with using that little bolt that came from the factory if you applied down pressure with your hyd. ram while that pin was installed you could bend it or break it. So it looks as if they made a beefier transport lock.

Also like JohnW said when you put down pressure on the openers you should see drill raise up in the air if on hard ground. Those openers should carry some weight on them.

Edited by Russ In Idaho 5/22/2019 02:47

(1 (full).jpg)

(2 (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1 (full).jpg (178KB - 19 downloads)
Attachments 2 (full).jpg (136KB - 9 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)