AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poll: Yield potential of June planted Corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 5/21/2019 08:56 (#7509776 - in reply to #7509745)
Subject: RE: Poll: Yield potential of June planted Corn

Glenwood, Mn

Yield hit is one thing but wet corn is entirely another up here.

We typically plant 94-96 day corn here.  Last year normal planting time was around may 7th.  We replanted some stuff that got drowned out near the end of May and that was a 92 day.  That corn, for the most part yielded about half but more horrific was the first planted corn was 18-20 moisture and the replant was 30-36.  Should have just left it in the field for the deer. Sub 100 bpa and 30+ moisture didn't really cover the effort in planting, drying, and harvesting.

That's why when it gets past June 1 here there really isn't a huge carrot for us northern guys to go bust our butts to get more corn in. Talking with a few guys here they are considering just throwing in the towel after June 1.  I for one, won't be replanting anything that doesn't come up for a few reasons.  One is the field conditions are likely to not improve and the second is for the reason I stated earlier.  It just doesn't cover the labor, seed, etc.

FWIW, I have NEVER had late planted corn ever out yield earlier planted corn.  Ever.  That may just be a here thing but the historical data doesn't lie.  Late planted corn just doesn't finish off.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)