AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Advice for first-time yield mapping and FieldView
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 5/18/2019 12:06 (#7503416 - in reply to #7502706)
Subject: RE: Advice for first-time yield mapping and FieldView

WC Mn/Dakotas
Multiple combines and "good yield data" is going to be much more of a challenge than 1 monitor. In my mind this totally elliminates doing any reports in fieldview. You could collect data from fieldview, but then export it and clean and adjust it individually before merging data. This also eliminates sms as well. I would manually export data from each monitor, label and save. Data going to any cloud is nice for remote monitoring and to have as a backup data source if something happens to your primary monitor data. ALL CLOUD DATA gets changed from its original state. I do everything i can to properly handle the PRIMARY DATA for analysis and rx purposes if possible.

This data needs to be run through yield editor or something like that. This is where GK adms software comes to the forefront by a long shot. You can import to yield editor through GK, if you cant read it in directly to ye. You can also filter multiple combines if monitors are named uniquely. You can also do manual cleaning, math, and smoothing in GK.

Then and only then, would i do any type of analysis. Again this is another feature gk is very capable that most others often can not even do, let alone do very well.

Good yield, proper imagery, elevation properties, ec all need to come together if you want the ultimate zone maps. Then you need to soil sample accurately. Then bring those results in and create a good fert or seed map. Lastly you need a software that is capable of exporting an rx in a way that whatever monitor it goes into can drive whatever rate controller smoothly. This is not as easy as it sounds. Many software will work, some just much better than others.

Any software will spit out an "answer" or make an rx, but there are 1000s of differences in quality, efficiency, and details most dont understsnd when starting out.

At least reach out to gpsdude and let him walk you through GK before you invest time or money elsewhere.

If you use poor data or a more basic limited software, the results just wont pan out like they could. Often i see people give up as much as they gain or even more because they got sold on quick and easy. Precision ag is neither. That is the cold hard reality. It takes time, money, and knowledge to be successful in precision ag.

Whatever software you do end up using, the most important part is the human ability to know when to override or how to manipulate the limitations of it to give you the "right answer". Dont just blindly follow a compters "answer"
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)