AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Peer into the crytral ball
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 5/15/2019 23:52 (#7499373 - in reply to #7498684)
Subject: RE: Peer into the crytral ball

South Central MN
Yay! If his long term solar predictions are true (grand solar minimum) looks like I'll get to enjoy it being cooler and wetter for the majority of my farming career. If the wheels don't fall off the wagon and I'm still around then, should be warmer in 2055 and on... (I'd turn 70 that year.) This is not the first time I have heard of this prediction, already seen from other sources a couple years ago. How bad it gets is still up to debate, but still going to be a change regardless.

Still possible we could be getting record corn yields during that time period, just won't be with varieties that exist now. Most likely if gene editing takes off some crops will radically change in what conditions they can tolerate.

I could also see a lot of political and economic unrest during that time frame if food shortages happen due to weather.
PP sounds nice and all but at some point after it happens enough crop insurance will tell you to either try something else for crop/crop maturities or go without... Having a diverse selection of crops to hedge risk won't be a bad idea, markets going to have to accept the fact some crops will shift production areas. Other areas might simply be too risky to crop farm.

Might not be as bad as we think, so long as a major volcano or something like that doesn't pop off, then look out.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)