AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Festulolium questions..............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jimsonweed
Posted 5/13/2019 06:49 (#7494335)
Subject: Festulolium questions..............

W Texas
I have been reading what I could find on the internet and am considering putting some down this fall with new alfalfa meadows.

1) does the grass produce viable seed? It's a hybrid so I'm guessing it doesn't. But can't find any references to whether or not it produces seed.

2) Can I grow the Festuloliums in the Chihuahuan Desert under irrigation? I can grow Tetraploid Annual Ryegrass or Tall Fescue very easily, so don't see why I couldn't. I have fairly cool summers at 3,700 ft elevation and get cool air off the mountains every morning 365 days per year. The seed dealers have it adapted to only the northern 1/2 of the US, but perhaps that is for the Perennial Ryegrass crosses?

3) Is there a variety that would be adaptable to a 25-30 day cutting schedule? Winter dormancy 9 alfalfa grows like a weed here and sunny days and 90f highs with 60f lows all summer it requires frequent cutting.

4) Cutting height? I want to green chop or ensile it. I assume it needs to be cut slightly taller than typical for alfalfa?

Thanks in advance.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)