AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Good thing this cow didn't calve with nature....(pic)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

born_in_ad1
Posted 5/13/2019 20:40 (#7495796 - in reply to #7493998)
Subject: RE: Backwards calf and Genetics.

ESW ND
Every now and again we end up with heifers and sometimes they stay like that as cows....Nubby little titties. Not my preference, but if the calf can hoover them enough it doesn't seem to matter. I'd still take the nubby ones over the huge funnel tits.
play in the dirt - 5/12/2019 22:00.

oldtiger - 5/12/2019 21:36

I agree with you 79 in principle,,that being said, it did say that if a cow has an abnormally presented fetus, she is more likely to do it again,,,although the chances are really small to start with. Ya know reading that reminded me of trying to follow along with some boring lecture in Mumford or the Ag building, while trying not to notice the cute, available girls,,,makes you want to be young again, and that ain't no bull shet,,,right Ben??

I was going through pictures trying to remember some of my most recent backwards calves. I was thinking that mine tended to be towards the end of my herd calving, so in May or beyond but I came across one I had forgotten about that happened in March 3 years ago.

I couldn't believe it when I realized what cow it was but I've committed the ultimate clicker no no. In 2016 Cow #28 had a backwards heifer calf and I'll be darned if I didn't keep that calf for a replacement. I haven't helped cow 28 in her next 3 times calving and even this year she had a set of live twins on her own. That heifer calf from 2016 hasn't needed help yet either in 2 times. Think I'll load both up on the next trailer to the sale barn before I get unlucky.....

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)