AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Edge - possible to use 30' guidance lines with 60' sprayer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/12/2019 08:58 (#7492508 - in reply to #7489491)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Edge - possible to use 30' guidance lines with 60' sprayer?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I haven't actually used an Edge for this type of situation but have used Insights, Integra and InCommands. With them when I select a configuration and choose a guidance line, the system warns me if the widths are different and suggests shifting the line over by half the difference in the widths. I need to choose which direction to shift the AB line. After that the new lines are generated off of this line with the width of the current implement.

I would be surprised if the Edge didn't work this same way. So in you case if the planter is 30' and the sprayer is 60' when you choose an AB line created with the planter, I suspect the system would suggest moving the line 15'. Although this would work, it would be undesirable since you would then always be driving on the edge of two passes or what is sometimes called the guess row.

It sounds as if you make two 40' passes in an effort to "move over" the 75' you need to get back on the planter tracks. This leads me to believe you have 3-20' boom sections. I was in this situation and decided to replumb my boom into 4-15' sections. This got much more involved that it might seem but did solve the mismatch problem with the planter and sprayer.

Here's my thought. Draw this out on paper and use a dotted line for the planter and sprayer edge with two different colored pens for the planter and sprayer centers to confirm my thinking.

Choose the AB line created with the planter with the sprayer, I am certain that the system will suggest moving the line 15'. Override that and change the shift to 75'. The system will create new lines based on the shifted AB line but 60' apart. The shift left or right can be confusing since it is based on the direction of the original AB line. Actually in this case, I don't think it would matter much. If you shift the wrong way you would have the shifted AB 75' outside your field with another line 15' inside your field but the next one would be 75' inside your field which is the one you want.

Usethat guidance line and spray across the field. You will be leaving 75' unsprayed. Then make your two passes of 40' each to spray this 75' area. Then return to the guidance lines for the rest of the field.

Transferring guidance lines between Ag Leader displays is quite easy. In essence you export them from the one on which they created on to a memory stick. Then put that memory stick in the other display and import them. If the two devices use different styles of memory devices, then a computer can be used. The guidance lines can be exported to the memory device, stick it in a computer and save them to the computer. Put the other memory device in the computer and copy to that memory device and then use it in the other display.

I have sometimes saved all my AB lines from my various displays on the computer as a backup. When you have lots of them it is important to use good descriptive names or you don't know what you have.

When I did this with my 4-15' section sprayer everything worked out fine if I shut off the innermost boom section for my first pass meaning I was only taking 45'. Then the remaining passes would be on 60' and I would be driving on the planter tracks taking every other set. Only problem was I sometimes forgot to turn that section back on. To alert me, I wired up a "partial boom alert" buzzer. This was a buzzer that was connected to all four boom sections. It had a timer in it and would buzz occasionally to remind me if some sections were ON and others were OFF. I needed the timer or otherwise the constant buzzing would be intolerable. I could tolerate the occasional buzz and it reminded me of the situation so that I would turn all the sections ON for normal spraying.

When I went to auto swath and mapping that was no longer necessary, as auto swath shut off unnecessary sections and the onscreen map made the gap very obvious. I would start spraying on the outside pass which meant I was straddling the guess rows. For my second pass I went back on the planter tracks and auto swath shut off the 15' section that was already done. When I made the next pass auto swath turned all the booms back on

Edited by tedbear 5/12/2019 09:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)