AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New technology compatibility with old school monitor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/2/2019 18:13 (#7472712 - in reply to #7472464)
Subject: RE: New technology compatibility with old school monitor?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I used to work on those and here's my recollection of the older early riser planter monitors. They could get ground speed from a sensor on a press wheel or a real radar gun. The monitor needed to change its math when working with a radar gun so it needed to "know" if it was connected to a press wheel or the radar gun.

Here's the trick that some of them used. The early riser was designed to support a Dickey John radar gun. The connector between the two used four pins. The early riser provided ground on Pin 1, expected the radar signal on Pin 2, provided 12V out for the radar gun circuitry on Pin 3. It used the status of Pin 4 to decide if it was connected to a radar gun or not. This worked because inside the Dickey John connector, 12V from the early riser went into the gun to provide power for it BUT this wire looped back out to Pin 4.

This means when the Early Riser was turned On, it provided ground and 12V out to the radar gun but also checked to see if 12V was coming back on Pin 4, is so then it assumed a radar gun was "out there" and did its math accordingly.

If you get a radar signal from your EZ-Guide 500 that will be fine but the Early Riser monitor may not be expecting it since Pin 4 may be missing. The radar out needs to be turned on in a menu on the EZ-Guide 500. I would suggest using a setting of 57 Hz as this will then be close to a real radar gun. You may get it to work without the Pin 4 trick since the EZ-Guide can be set to a lower output. Just keep this in mind if you get it to work but not exactly the way you want.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)