AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Door County, WI
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

JoBob
Posted 4/30/2019 22:32 (#7468990 - in reply to #7468199)
Subject: RE: Door County, WI

West Central Wisconsin
Our daughter and son-in-law live in Sturgeon Bay and both teach in Fish Creek, so we've visited Door County many times over the last few years. (first visit there was our honeymoon in 1983!) Rowley's Bay fish boil is outstanding - an excellent buffet with many items in addition to the standard whitefish, but what makes it stand out is the storyteller while the food is cooking outside over the open fire. Always an older gentleman, portraying the settler of Rowley's Bay, sharing stories with a good amount of history and entertainment!
We've also eaten at Cornerstone several times and never been disappointed. Peninsula State Park has beautiful trails. One of my favorites, and a beautiful spot, is Cave Point Park. The entire area is filled with museums, antique shops, farm markets, wineries, brewery's, etc. I recommend Lautenbach Orchard & Winery, Door Peninsula Winery, and Hatch Distillery.
There's always plenty to do! If you have time, take the ferry to Washington Island. Schoolhouse Beach on the island is very unique, being one of only a handful in the world to be made up of smooth, limestone rocks.....no sand. In July, there are lavender fields in bloom on the island. Of course, Door County is also filled with shops featuring anything you could possibly need or want! Another favorite is The Oilerie, where you can get freshly bottled olive oils in a wide variety of flavors, our preference for salads.
Really, just too many places to list as far as great restaurants. I'm sure our daughter could make recommendations as to budget-friendly lodging. If you'd like, email directly to JoBob and he can get you connected with her. She's assisted several friends and neighbors of ours with vacations in the area.
And I almost forgot! Sturgeon Bay also has a Side Pork Fest, where they grill hundreds of pounds of side pork on huge grills in the city park - the smell and taste is amazing!!
Mrs JoBob
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)