AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dickey-John PWM valve freq. and gain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/28/2019 07:32 (#7462828 - in reply to #7462580)
Subject: RE: Dickey-John PWM valve freq. and gain

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Concerning the gain value: Gain is a number that indicates how quickly the system will respond to a needed change in flow. An example might be you increase the rate either manually or due to an Rx file. The system responds by increasing the Duty Cycle of the PWM. This opens the hydraulic valve a bit further and the applied rate should increase. Gain refers to how quickly the system reacts or makes the change.

Another example would be a constant rate but a change in ground speed, again Gain refers to how quickly the system responds. Having the gain set too low will cause a sluggish response although it should get there - just takes longer than you like. Having the gain set too high may cause the system to overreact and cause it to go into oscillation because it may go too high and then have to correct the other way and the rate gets into a YoYo effect.

It's been I while since I worked with one of these but as I recall the Ag Leader documentation gives some suggested values. The way the number works is now different than when the concept was first introduced so one should be certain that the documentation you are referring to is fairly recent. The oldest documentation is no longer appropriate.

My approach would be to get things working with the suggested gain. Once you are satisfied that the system is working but maybe a little sluggish then gradually increase the gain to see if you are happier with the new gain number. Do this systematically with small changes in the gain. Take some notes for future reference.

Edited by tedbear 4/28/2019 07:36
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)