AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hiring help in the Agronomy world
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

sand85
Posted 4/15/2019 20:38 (#7441508 - in reply to #7441444)
Subject: RE: Hiring help in the Agronomy world

C IL
1. Everywhere. Lots went away to college or trade school and looked for good jobs close to home and there aren’t any, so the economy sucks them away.

Pro tip: offer a good internship and grow your own applicant. That means realistic pay and hours and MENTORING. Lots of farmers spoiled because they trained their successor for 20 years and then they find they suck at teaching a new person all in one session because they expect the newbie to be a mind reader because that is what they are used to. Big difference between being a parent and an employer.

2. I don’t have the best advice here. Most of my job/work/career successes in life so far came (a) from word of mouth and (b) from persistence.

I would reach out to the kind of people you would want to hire and ask them if they have any suggestions because their acquaintances are probably the kind of people you want to hire.

I would show up looking for help at more than one career day/job fair. Show a realistic commitment and don’t expect the solution to fall from the sky.

3. You’re on your own there. That attitude encapsulate your issue, and your buddy’s if he shares your attitude. Good advice if you are big enough to take it.

Most people willing to work like they are their own boss or make multiples of ag retailer employee pay in a different industry.

Good luck finding your unicorn.

Edited by sand85 4/15/2019 20:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)