AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old sprayer plumbing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/15/2019 19:20 (#7441314 - in reply to #7440967)
Subject: RE: Old sprayer plumbing

Faunsdale, AL
Using the plumbing diagram from the teejet website is your best bet. You will set the existing brass ball valve to bypass an amount back to the tank so that you can regulate pressure to the boom valves by opening or closing the electric valve feeding them.

Problem is as soon as you get it all set you will want to cut off a boom section and your spray pressure will rise to the other two sections. Cut off a second one and it will go up even more. Your bypass return flow back to tank will also begin to flow a lot more and you could have foaming problems as a result. That's what a computerized spray controller will stop. You will have manual control, but will be too busy to adjust the electric valve every time you open or close a boom section valve.

You have a centrifugal pump, so the pressure rise will not be as severe as if you had a piston or roller pump, but it will rise somewhat. I have a similar setup without the new electric throttling valve you are installing. Instead I use a hand adjustable spring loaded bypass like yours had to set a pressure slightly higher than I need and return the excess to tank for agitation. Problem is, again, as soon as I shut off a section or two, my spray pressure/rate goes up just because the spring loaded bypass valve restricts the flow more the more you force through it. To solve this I installed a standard adjustable water pressure regulator between the spring loaded bypass and the boom valves and gauge. The one I used was a Cash Acme brand cast iron 3/4" valve. I set that at 30 psi that I want to limit the spray pressure to the boom valves and force more flow through the spring loaded bypass. If the pressure at the bypass rises 10 or even 30 psi when I close a boom valve, it doesn't matter, the regulator stops it reaching the remaining open boom valves.

The other way to do it (without a controller) requires 3 way boom section valves so that when you shut off a section that flow goes through another port in the valve and back to the tank. Teejet AA144P-1-3 three way valves are superior to the valves you have because they have the upgraded coil ( the 2way valves you have are also available with the better coil, maybe $25 more each but well worth it!). Each 3 way valve has a TeeJet 23520-1/2-PP throttling valve screwed into the bypass port and this is adjusted to flow the same as the boom section so pressure should not vary when you shut off that section. The throttling valve outlets are tee-ed together with hose and return to the tank.

That whole setup with 3 of each valve is about $550-600. I just bought one because my old 144A valves had begun to give me fits! Luckily I finished next to the highway before they really started playing up.

I need to give a shout out for http://www.spraypartswarehouse.com
Good pricing and fast shipping. I almost ordered from another place and just lucky i checked and found out they didn't stock the valves and couldn't say when they could get them in to ship!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)