AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weekly bean inspections, down...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmer4321
Posted 4/16/2019 07:55 (#7442241 - in reply to #7441546)
Subject: RE: Monitor marine traffic.

I don't have a chart but I monitor marine traffic out of the two main ports in Brazil, Santos and Paranagua. For example, Santos has three terminals that load beans, Cargill, ADM, & Dorcas with total of 10 berths, Paranagua has 5. Marine traffic allows you to know when a ship arrives, when it leaves, estimate the tonnage & where it goes. With a little effort you can see that it takes about four to five days to load a ship, currently the berths almost always full, ships in position to dock even as other ships pull away in real time. Ten ships divided by 5 days is 2 ships per day ranging between 45 & 70 thousand metric tons out of Santos alone. Figuring an average of 60 TMT times 14 ships per week that's 840 T MT out of Santos alone. That compares with the 400 TMT we shipped from all US ports and by rail to Mexico.
And that doesn't even count what's loading out of Paranagua with 5 berths or what's being loaded out at Santarem. Below is a satellite photo of Santarem with the current ships superimposed on it. Santarem is halfway up the Amazon right on the very end of highway 163 out of Mato Grosso. What do you suppose they're loading into those ships there Wade, peanuts? It's either corn or soybeans and this time of year before the corn even starts it's most likely soybean. See that left most ship image, that's the Global Brave, gross tonnage 33, 226 MT. It arrived on 4/12. When it leaves I can estimate the load and how long it took to load.

(Santarem Brazil (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Santarem Brazil (full).png (102KB - 23 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)