AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rain makes grain
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Deere6
Posted 4/14/2019 20:40 (#7439719 - in reply to #7439425)
Subject: RE: Rain makes grain

I agree, with the exception of 93, its pretty rare to have a major reduction in yield due to too wet. Usually "too wet" is in isolated enough areas, and some areas yield better with extra moisture helping to somewhat offset the poor areas. However, I really feel the risk for lower yields in the high producing corn areas IS too much rain. Those areas are flat, black, and far enough north that heat and drought seem to have less impact than a late, wet spring. In general I expect a later and wetter type spring to keep yields in check, close to trend. It seems unlikely to have a well above trend yield with a wet spring. Corn likes a warm dry start to get grow fast and root down, then slow down with plenty of moisture for pollination and kernel fill. I argued with SoDak and others on here last June about this very thing. I stated the first half of the growing season (for the high producing areas) was just as if not more important than the second half. Its why I said IL was at 210 and even with a very average finish would end up with monster yields. It was a near perfect spring with most of the state getting planted early into warm dry conditions. Excellent stands, no N loss, deep roots. There is time for this spring to follow the same path but it doesn't seem to be at this time. Only time will tell though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)