AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop experiment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

MNfarmer85
Posted 4/13/2019 21:52 (#7437979 - in reply to #7437834)
Subject: RE: Cover crop experiment

South Central MN
Looks nice, not near as many options for an overwintering cover crop here... Some clovers, winter rye, *maybe* hairy vetch. Ryegrass might if it is a mild winter and gets a lot of shelter. Everything else pretty much toast.
Around here most covers in corn either get flown on late (risky with moisture, takes more lbs. seed.) or put on at side dress, but that also limits species to what can survive a lot of shade later in the summer. Not sure what some are doing that use winter rye, can be put in after early beans or corn but past couple falls have not worked well for that.
Tried ryegrass and radish mix flown onto soybeans once but total flop, almost none came up in my field but did in the neighbors, guess no-till corn ground had too much residue for the seeds to find dirt.
*I have seen hairy vetch winter great one year out of three, other years hardly any survived. Some volunteer stuff in a small patch somehow reproduces every year, if it is overwintering it has acclimated to the climate here and germinates during the summer getting on some good growth before fall.

Probably a bit too rich for livestock to eat? I think cows would be blimps with the s**ts in that stuff.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)