AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does a cow fill her bladder with air?!?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/13/2019 22:49 (#7438069 - in reply to #7437240)
Subject: RE: How does a cow fill her bladder with air?!?

Faunsdale, AL
Different/bad conformation in the vestibule of the vagina where the urethral opening is. Probably only happens during estrus under the influence of estrogen etc.

Could also be a result of a healed calving injury.

Always helps to pull back, but not out of the rectum, get rid of any air and reorient yourself. I have searched hardest for the cervix that was next to my wrist but usually up high on the left side since I always palpate with my left hand. Since you were feeling the uterine horns, you should have been able to follow them back to the cervix.

When the tip of the gun "gets lost" it's usually in the bladder. Just saying............

And there is a bit of a vacuum in the abdomen of a cow, so air might try to go into the bladder if the seal on the urethral opening is relaxed. When opening one up surgically for some reason, when the peritoneal membrane that lines the body wall on the inside is cut, air rushes in. If it rushes out at that moment it's a bad sign, usually has a sweetish but bad smell from peritonitis. Once the pressure equalize, then air moves in and out as she moves around, moos, strains etc, but it always rushes in at the moment the opening is made.

An hour later you might have had no difficulties doing the AI.

Edited by ccjersey 4/13/2019 23:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)