AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How does a cow fill her bladder with air?!?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

kipps
Posted 4/13/2019 13:22 (#7437240)
Subject: How does a cow fill her bladder with air?!?

Madison Co. Virginia
I attempted to breed a cow this morning, about 100 days in milk, and encountered a what felt like a full bladder, but it was floating high and to the left. As I massaged it by hand, I could progressively deflate it, and heard air escaping out her vagina. I got it mostly empty, then continued with my breeding attempt, but couldn't find the cervix. I suspect the cervix was distended in some strange shape through this inflated bladder, hence, why I couldn't properly feel the cervix. The uterus felt normal, both before and after I deflated the bladder. I finally just gave up my breeding attempt, when I couldn't really tell where I was going with the AI gun.

Has anyone ever seen this? She had a rather sudden diet change a week ago, when she went out on fresh pasture for the first time. Based on the hit at the bunk, I'd say she and her herdmates are getting half their dry matter from grazing at the moment. She appears to be an Ayrshire/Jersey cross, with all the bad attitude of an Ayrshire. She's in her second lactation, so fortunately she's calming down now.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)