AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

White Oak Log crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dan Loehr
Posted 3/24/2019 15:53 (#7398785 - in reply to #7398620)
Subject: RE: White Oak Log crop

Holland, Indiana (SW IN)
AGB - 3/24/2019 14:18

That's definitely a veneer log but it's a long way from going g backwards. I know loggers hope they can cut those but looks small to me.

AGB You have no idea what the top of that tree looked like (60 feet up)--Neither do I --We had a bunch of the trees dying off on the top
After talking to foresters in the industry The number one mistake most farmers make in our area (we are mostly a bunch of German immigrants and tight) make is to wait too long to make a harvest
The next step in this woods is to have a TSI (Timber Stand Improvement) in about 5 years that releases the younger trees for quick growth--we kill off any thing undesirable and will leave 40,or more young quick growing hopefully valuable trees per acre and will have another cut in 30 years--probably way past my time of life
Definitely not saying we are doing timber work perfect BUT we try
FWIW to get top dollar from a timber cut volume is needed --loggers can't move in for 50 trees

Dan

To add if you look in pic #3 you will see all the younger trees in the back ground left to grow for the next crop harvest

Edited by Dan Loehr 3/24/2019 15:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)