AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Biologicals and PGRs. Yes, again.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JimmyP
Posted 3/25/2019 17:07 (#7400923 - in reply to #7400201)
Subject: RE: Biologicals and PGRs. Yes, again.

Lancaster, OH
As the Marketing Manager in the past, I have died on the sword of data. Some contract research companies have no problem with being identified as the tester, while others require anonymity. Therefore, everything shows up as company summaries even though the company may have done none of the testing themselves. In our case on seed treatments, it is all contracted out to third party testers.

The fact that Matt didn't see anything is surprising but not a shock. Take Off shows a positive response in corn 78% of the time over 4 years of testing.

As for labels, some actives are proprietary and labeling is difficult. labeling as a fertilizer is very easy--see products like Invigor-8 and products like that. Take Off is an analog of 2-hydroxy, 5-oxyproline, a metabolite in all plants responsible in part for converting glutamine to glutamate enabling the plant to continue to take up and use nitrogen. 2-hydroxy, 5-oxyproline is a limiting factor for plants to be able to process nitrogen so it addresses that limitation.

It is not a growth promoter or a hormone although faster, more even emergence and faster growth is a result.

One difficulty with testing Take Off as a seed treatment in corn is that it is a liquid at a very low use rate that makes it pretty impractical to apply at the farm level.

Take Off in a different formulation than Take Off ST, Take Off LS, etc. is a key component in Preside brand inoculants and has improved overall performance in magnitude as well as consistency. The one published university trial with Preside was OSU in 2014.

https://stepupsoy.osu.edu/sites/hcs-soy/files/2014%20seed%20trt_1.pd...

In this trial, Preside provided a positive response in 5 of the six locations (there were two locations for each maturity). This performance exceeds our long term testing showing a positive response 72% of the time.

Sorry for the long response but we do have a trial program if some of you want to try some materials. I can hook you up with the local person.

Currently, we're asked to sell a product that is claimed to provide 10 bushels in corn. One of the largest distributors in the US trialed this product for 3 years and showed the same result as the originator. I am skeptical, at best, of that magnitude of impact.

I believe that the explanation I've given above about data likely applies to a lot of companies, at least it has to the ones I've worked for. In my current position, I've seen more of the raw information and understand it a bit better and understand how customers are skeptical of company data.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)