AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed Quality & Treatments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JimmyP
Posted 3/22/2019 19:08 (#7395826)
Subject: Seed Quality & Treatments

Lancaster, OH
This is from our company blog. I thought there was some good information to contemplate in this. I copied do the point where we introduced our solution so as not to be commercial. I firmly believe that seed treatment will be important for most soybean seed and crucial for others. Even conditions that would normally seem good in the past might be too tough for of the seed. Just my assessment.

I hope this read is helpful to stimulate thougths.

Poor Seed Quality? Get The Most From The Seed That You Have

The wet weather across much of the United States has no doubt had a significant impact on soybean seed quality. Johnanna Beuerlein, Seed Lab Manager for the Ohio Seed Improvement Association, says this has been the worst season she has seen in her 28 years with respect to disease, particularly Phomopsis.

“It’s been just horrible,” says Beuerlein.

Michael Stahr, Seed Laboratory Manager with the Iowa Seed University Seed Lab, says timing is crucial when it comes to soybean seeds – particularly those harvested after the extended rains started last fall. He, too, has seen high levels of Phomopsis, along with Fusarium. Both Stahr and Beuerlein say a seed treatment can make a world of difference.

“Seed treatment has been effective in controlling the fungi and improving germination scores as long as the fungi hasn't already killed the seeds and/or done significant damage to the seed,” says Stahr.

“Treating is amazing. The same seed with a low germination of 2 or 11 percent can pop up to 90 percent germination with a treatment,” says Beuerlein. “I’ve never seen anything like this before.” Seed testing is vital for producers, says Beuerlein. “If they’re not testing, they may be in for a rude awakening. If they are treating, they should be fine. It’s just a tremendous difference.”

Stahr says there could still be hope for the field.
“With or without seed treatment, seeds may do better in the field than in the lab because soil fungi have an effect on seed-borne fungi,” he says. “Phomopsis and Fusarium on seeds don't necessarily have much effect on seedlings that emerge in the field or increase the likelihood of fungi in the field.”

When soybean seed quality is in question, getting as many seeds germinated and successfully established as possible becomes even more important. Inoculants will not germinate seed that is not viable but increases in stand due to improved establishment of viable seeds are certainly possible. Soybean inoculants have been shown to help improve early stand establishment.

The common belief is that soybeans can compensate for lost stand. To some extent this is true due to their ability to branch and produce pods on those branches as stands decrease. More pods are typically produced on the main stem with more soybeans per pod compared to the pods produced on branches. This means that the more plants we can establish successfully, the more main stems we will have, and the result will be greater yield potential.

(skip some product info) Statements are made about the importance of stands.

So how might this potentially affect yield? Let’s look at an example of how a stand increase of as little as 6% can potentially impact final yield. Let’s assume that we are planting 140,000 seeds/acre. If we germinate 6% more seed, that gives us an additional 8400 (140,000 X 6%) plants per acre. If each of those plants produces 30 pods with an average of 2.5 beans per pod, that gives us an additional 630,000 (8,400 X 30 X 2.5) beans. Assuming 2,850 beans per lb., and 60 lbs. per bushel, that gives us the potential for an additional 3.6 ((630,000÷2,850)÷60) bushels of beans.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)