AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alfalfa as Cash Crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jd43
Posted 3/22/2019 08:50 (#7394960 - in reply to #7394858)
Subject: RE: Alfalfa as Cash Crop

Northeastern Pa.
Mixed feelings on the whole hay thing. It's nice to have a crop that you can determine the price on within reason. Over the last 35 years we've sold small square bales to a lot of different customers. Each having their own preference on type. I've had very nice alfalfa that a horse owner said wasn't good enough and yet a dairy made good money on it. I finally gave up on alfalfa because it's very hard to make it right. I can make just as much money on good mixed grass or timothy and the market is much larger. It's been a lot of work and was a great working experience for my kids and grandkids. I've met a lot of people in the hay market. We have sold to the NYPD horse division, Great Adventure animal park and many individuals. We are also the only supplier for a stable through 2 owners over the last 30 years. When this owner retires so are we from the small square business. I haven't seen a large square bale that I've been happy with for quality but that's probably a here thing. We round bale any hay that gets wet or is low quality for mushroom mulch. The big thing is to know what's the best market in your area within a reasonable delivery distance. You may have a big alfalfa market in your area and that would be great. Good luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)