AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

conventional corn varieties vs stacked in plots?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

supertiquer
Posted 3/20/2019 11:26 (#7390938 - in reply to #7390611)
Subject: RE: conventional corn varieties vs stacked in plots?

central, Il.
Ron,

I don't know if I ever shared this with you but back when I was a Golden Harvest dealer, we did just what you are talking about in my test plot. Every single time, the conventional out yielded the bt. I was using insecticide and I never shut the boxes off on the bt corn. The first time we did this, then that fall when we harvested it, I will never forget my dsm saying "it didn't pay to plant bt corn here". And I don't think he liked the results that the plot showed us. This was also corn after beans. I also tried it on my own on a farm and split it 20 acres conventional, 20 acres beans, and 20 acres bt. Same result as the test plot.
The biggest one that got me was in 2005 when it was hot and dry. I planted and sold a lot of H-2495 and I believe it's bt companion was H-8692bt. And that's what a lot of my customers wanted. The H-2495 was ALL OVER the H-8692bt that year. And it didn't matter if they were side by side or not. The H-2495 out yielded the 8692bt consistently by 40 to 50 bushels per acre every where in my area. And I had many upset customers because it cost more and yielded less.

Clark
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)