AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bulk Farm NH3 Storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Tileman2
Posted 3/20/2019 10:15 (#7390804 - in reply to #7390696)
Subject: RE: Bulk Farm NH3 Storage

NW IN
As I stated...it's a state by state thing. Indiana has the State Chemist. He/She can inspect bulk storage any time and can issue fines for non-compliance. "Here" NH3 is slowly being regulated out the door due to insurance. My time on a co-op board showed that when the insurance company gave us a quote with NH3 and without...eye popping difference.

I was in charge of DOT compliance for a commercial company. Had a farmer running grain commercially (had his truck plated commercial) and blew a stop sign, wrecking one of our trucks. Had his truck insured on his FARM policy with a large, well-known farm related insurance company. His agent told him No problem, all is good, go ahead. Till he totaled one of our trucks. Spent 6 months fighting with idiots on their end because of a lack of competence at the agency level. So yes...I'd be VERY cautious with any agent. I'm not sure most agents would understand "on-farm ammonia storage" to be a 12k gallon tank sitting in the back yard.

Bulk storage also changes things on the federal and state levels when dealing with HazMat. There is a distinct and definite difference between a nurse wagon, a bulk transport, and a bulk storage bullet located anywhere. No different than the fuel rules and laws for bulk fertilizer storage. The key difference is NH3 is HazMat...28 or 32 is not (yet anyway).

And I do carry an umbrella policy on my farm and have riders added for environmental contamination from a fertilizer or chemical spill. I added those specifically and worked with my agent on the specifics. No one can insure for everything, but I try to minimize my exposure and plan accordingly.

I'm with you on the fear aspect, but all the other odds and ends can make on farm storage less appealing when you add them in (compliance, insurance, etc.)

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)