AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Change In Operation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farmerrob
Posted 3/19/2019 20:32 (#7389819)
Subject: Change In Operation

I posted in Stock Talk a time or two about this. Just wondering about others decisions. Dad loved to grain farm and we worked together for years going from STO to a little bigger and back. I lost Dad three years ago next month. I have been working and stressing to keep his dream alive. My trouble is, I never loved it. I have always been a livestock guy. I started when I was in kindergarten finishing hogs to by 5th grade I had my own sows and was selling feeder pigs to cattle in high school and then sheep and goats the last 15 or so years. We aren't big time and don't have the "flat and black dirt" anyhow. In fact most would be best suited for hay and pasture. I finally came to the decision this winter that I am going to change. I am going to do it. I am going to make this into a livestock farm and let go of the grain. The weight I felt lifted from my shoulders was huge. I am excited for farming this year for the first time since Dad got cancer. I am looking forward to converting the land to pasture and hay and getting the fence building started so I can start stocking the farm this fall/next spring. I just wondered if there was any others out there that have made huge changes in their farms like this. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks for listening/reading.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)