AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for those of you who lived without refrigerators?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 3/19/2019 11:28 (#7389045 - in reply to #7388785)
Subject: RE: Question for those of you who lived without refrigerators?

North of London
I was young when we got a fridge.
I do know there was a lot of canning. shelves of preserves in the basement.

If you were going to have chicken for supper it was killed in the morning, plucked and gutted then cooked the same day.
We never had an 'ice box' but the local corner store did have ice blocks stored for sale.
I think it was a community job to cut and haul the ice and then the store kept it in one large pile covered with sawdust to distribute it through the summer.
Probably a small charge for their care taking of it.

We did have a 'dumb waiter' which was a cabinet on a fully system which was pulled up from the basement to use and then lower to keep it cool, not cold.

Summer kitchen for cooking to keep the heat from the fire out of the main part of the house.

Beef was shared among my fathers family when an animal was killed, on the farm, and we had a locker in a freezer building in the local town for keeping extra meat for later use.

Trip to town always included a stop at the freezer building to bring home more from locker or to resupply it too.
Town trip in summer meant a brick of ice cream under a pillow to keep it cold until it was shared among everyone at the table.
HAD to eat it all with no where to store it but portions were not that big from one little brick about the size of a butter block.

Often a discussion over who got a bigger slice.......... if you cut it you got last pick!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)