AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Satellite internet?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Galaxie64
Posted 3/18/2019 20:52 (#7388117 - in reply to #7387819)
Subject: RE: Satellite internet?

WY, OK
They are all "unlimited", basically everything is. Catch is there is a throttle after a certain amount of data. I've got Hughes 50gb package and if I streamed like I want to I'd use it up in a week or two tops. After the data cap hits they throttle it down something awful. Netflix has enough servers and smart enough software that it still works ok after being throttled. Just about every other streaming service is basically unwatchable. Constant pausing to try and buffer. A 2 hour 4K movie can eat 5-8gb's, non 4k is under 5gb. Busy times, especially between 8-10pm are slowed considerably even before the throttle hits. Mine has an equal amount of data (50gb) that can be used between 2am and 8am. So if I want to download or update something I try to schedule it then, or might wake up early and stream something.

I'm really hoping I end up in a Verizon 5G area sooner rather than later, their home plans look very appealing. Unless you have the really old verizon unlimited plan it also throttles pretty hard after 15gb IIRC. I hotspot mine to supplement the satellite, especially if I am bidding on an online auction since the satellite has terrible latency and does not play well with real time bidding all the time.

Also the above is not a Satellite, sounds like wireless which requires line of sight and slows during heavy use, as I doubt your "township" had the funds to "mount" a few "satellites" in space.

Edited by Galaxie64 3/18/2019 20:54
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)