AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Controlling Johnsongrass in Corn?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 3/19/2019 07:16 (#7388596 - in reply to #7387469)
Subject: RE: Controlling Johnsongrass in Corn?

West Union, Illinois

Buz Brandes - My normal pre program is 2 qt of Atrazine with 4.5 oz. of Corvus. How well will this work to control Jgrass?
I've fought Johnsongrass since I was tall enough to know what it was.  In 50+ years of fighting it I have yet to see a really effective pre-plant or pre-emerge program.  They will slow down seedling plants but won't even make rhizome plants sick.  Roundup on soybeans is what finally gave us control of Johnsongrass and Wild Sweet Potato vines.  Nothing else did much more than give us hope.  However as others have said the key is timing. If you are fighting Johnsongrass in corn delay application as long as the label lets you.  We were spot spraying Johnsongrass with Roundup using old Windex spray bottles and 2 1/2 gallon hand sprayers long before RR seed came out.  Yes, it did have a little effect on non-RR corn and soybeans. Controlling the Johnsongrass made it worth the crop damage.  Brother had a 4WD Chevy LUV truck that fit perfectly down 30" rows.  We got out when beans were just able to be driven over and sprayed Johnsongrass without walking the field. It was great! Killed the Johnsongrass, field looked great! Come July we had more than we killed.  There would be a ring of grass with a dead spot in the middle.  We killed the top growth but not the roots, and they all put out shoots on the ends.  Apply it as late as the label allows.

Best control I ever had was in beans just turning yellow and starting to drop leaves.  Johnson grass was headed.  I walked the field cutting and carrying out the seed heads.  Then I came back with a squirt bottle and carefully sprayed the leaves (remember this was pre-RR) The timing got the rhizomes.  It required a pre (yes, I know what I said) to control the seedlings a few years but it cleaned up the field.
Any suggestions on additional pre or post herbicides?
Accent or products containing that active ingredient. We grow seed corn and have one area we know will have Johnsongrass unless we use Accent.  Seed guys hate it but understand it is a must.
Other tips on winning the war with Johnsongrass?
Remember the Winston Churchill quote "Never give in. Nevernevernevernever—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”  Same goes for fighting Johnsongrass.

Edited by Mike SE IL 3/19/2019 07:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)