AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hay, pasture, crop scenario
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

SOILcattleman
Posted 3/18/2019 09:04 (#7386921)
Subject: Hay, pasture, crop scenario

West Salem, Illinois
Need some ideas for my summer grazing. I have two grass patches that are both tired and trying to maximize what I’ve got.

Piece number 1, Pros it’s fenced with good five strand hi tensile. Reliable water, pond and city water. Ties into my feedlot so I can catch one if needed. Cons it’s plugged bad from this winter. Needs work on a ditch that cuts thru the field. Has some weed issues, and needs reseeded.

Piece number 2, Pros it’s got a lot better grass. Has water but would need a little tweaking. Cons needs fence work, has a creek that’s going to require some good flood gates. No catch facility. High possibility of snake root. It’s currently one of my hay fields so I would have less hay

My thoughts were to pasture one of the two pieces and rework the other piece. If I work up #1 I was thinking about putting out some type of Sudan and wet wrap it. Than about August/September work it down and sow wheat, fescue, and clover into it. If I pasture #1 my plan for #2 was to no till corn into it and cut hay on some steep parts, chop the corn for silage and run the wheat,fescue and clover to reestablish it as hay ground.

Sorry for being long winded just looking for some advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)