AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auger swinger and winch--pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BFarm
Posted 3/17/2019 23:12 (#7386519)
Subject: Auger swinger and winch--pics

WCIL
My brother and I built a hyd swing away auger mover. We copied a neighbor's set up and bought some new parts and used some old stuff laying around. Surplus Center is a great place to source inexpensive parts (which I discovered on NAT). We bought a stick of keyed shaft, sprockets, chain, flange bearings, control valve and even some snowblower tires on wheels from there. We bought a band from an auger dealer. Already had a motor and had a couple of short hoses made locally. Yes, I know galvanized pipe elbows are not approved but for low flow use, we have never had trouble. The rest was from our obtainium pile. We chose gray paint because it was on the shelf, LOL. We have less than $250 in it.

The winch was bought on advice from NAT that I had inquired about late last year. I went with the consensus to get a bigger rated winch (4500lbs) and glad I did. I got a 2 pole trailer plug/socket and we hooked it up using jumper cables for wire (also an idea from here). My brother found a weather tight box on ebay and put the relay and circuit breaker inside and the switch on the outside. I used a heavy angle iron and utilized the old manual winch mount brackets on each side and an existing bolt in the center to mount the electric winch on. This also allows us to easily put the manual winch back when we sell the auger. We mounted it in the center to be used with the auger on either side, as some of our bin sites force us to change back and forth. I sat on the swing auger to test the winch and it lifted us fine. This was around $250 as well.

Since I am the official bin filler, I gave the ultimatum that either we build a mover, or I was buying one. If we were to purchase one, I would have definitely went electric with remotes, but for the cost, I think I (and my back) will be happy. My 80 years young dad has mentioned needing a winch for a while, so we were happy to oblige there as well. Thanks for looking.

Edited by BFarm 3/17/2019 23:24

(2019.3f (full).jpg)

(2019.3b (full).jpg)

(2019.3e (full).jpg)

(2019.3c (full).jpg)

(2019.3g (full).jpg)

(2019.3d (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2019.3f (full).jpg (250KB - 200 downloads)
Attachments 2019.3b (full).jpg (243KB - 160 downloads)
Attachments 2019.3e (full).jpg (231KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments 2019.3c (full).jpg (230KB - 213 downloads)
Attachments 2019.3g (full).jpg (241KB - 211 downloads)
Attachments 2019.3d (full).jpg (201KB - 186 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)