AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Y drops vs Coulter machines vs dribbled on top?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ih1566
Posted 3/18/2019 08:05 (#7386807 - in reply to #7385861)
Subject: RE: Y drops vs Coulter machines vs dribbled on top?

Hamilton, OH/ Browning, MO
I'll agree with everyone else saying that dribbling (slobbering) can work pretty good on the cheap, but something that has to be considered is the weather. If you can get moisture soon after to get the N into the soil it works really well. For a few years I've been using my sprayer and can cover ground in a hurry, but last year when I was slobbering was the only 2-3 week dry hot time we had all year and I feel like I lost most of it. It was bad enough that I'm wanting to go back to actually getting the N in the soil with some type of coulter. The snake oil guys claim all of the inhibitors/ stabilizers would have helped, whereas my agronomist says they're a joke and should just use sulfur. Also, everyone says to use the sprayer which I agree, but my problem is when I need to be applying nitrogen I'm already chasing my tail spraying. If I have a dedicated applicator then I could possibly have someone else run it. Slobbering N over corn really burns the leaves also. Aren't we told that you never want corn to have a bad day? This seems like one of those deals where we have to ask ourselves, do we want to apply N the cheapest way or the best way.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)