AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

WJKEIGER
Posted 3/17/2019 15:08 (#7385653 - in reply to #7384051)
Subject: RE: Question about all the flooding in E/Ne Nebraska and washed out bridges

nw NC
I realize that the ice chunks, trees, logs and other debris made debris jams that caused bridges to be lifted and forced off their supports in Nebraska. Where I live there is no chance of ice jams but there is wood debris that restrict flow through pipes.
A large pipe carrying a small stream under a road near me, washed out during a hurricane caused flood in 2004. Water flow pushed the pipes into the river only a short distance away. The small river borders our farm downstream . The State Highway Dept. made no effort to remove the two pieces of pipe from the river. They have moved downstream in flood events since then. During a hurricane rainfall event last September, one pipe moved about a third of a mile downstream from where it was previously. . It now rest in the river against the bank opposite from our property over a half mile from where it was installed. Picture of it below. It is at a location where I can get tractors to the edge of the river channel. I intend to get some friends to help me get the pipe pulled out of the river. It looks to be an 8 foot pipe about 20 feet long. I have no use for it other than scrap.

I feel it is better to spend the money on good bridges than pipes in my part of the country. Put in big pipes if they want, but they are prone to washouts like these videos show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JamhlDxH77k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Ymqm3i9lg

Edited by WJKEIGER 3/17/2019 15:12

(Capture L Yadkin Culvert Movement (full).JPG)

(003 (Large) (full).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Capture L Yadkin Culvert Movement (full).JPG (174KB - 295 downloads)
Attachments 003 (Large) (full).JPG (181KB - 364 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)